HOME

P R O F I L E




CRIMEAN CANNONS - WHERE ARE THEY NOW?

Kings Road
Oldham
Lancashire
Great Britain
OL8 2BN


Alexandra Park, Oldham, is a Grade Two site of national importance on the English Heritage Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England. It was opened on the 29 August 1865 by the then Mayor of Oldham Joseph Radcliffe and named to commemorate the recent marriage on 10 March 1863 of Princess Alexandra of Denmark to Edward Prince of Wales.

Taking advantage of the Governments low interest loan offers to combat unemployment at the time, a committee was set up in 1863 to construct a public park. In 1850 a local area of land had became the property of the Rev. John Thomas Cocker Esq., of New-bank Heyside Crompton. Mr Cocker offered to sell the estate for the sum of ten thousand seven hundred and fifty pounds on condition that the operatives temporarily unemployed in the cotton trade were used in carrying out the necessary work. The offer was accepted and the estate purchased.

To ensure access routes the Corporation also purchased about 15 acres of land adjoining from Joseph James, late of Walshaw House and about 5 acres from Joseph Lees of Clarksfield making a total of 72 acres costing eighteen thousand pounds. Of this land 60 acres was used for the park.

The aggregate cost of the site, buildings, roads and of making the main road bordering the easterly side of the Park leading to Glodwick and culverting over 200 yards of Sheepwash Brook to receive a large embankment forming the above mentioned road was about thirty one thousand pounds. Building the Park created much needed work for the cotton operatives whose livelihood had been very badly affected by the cotton famine due largely to the ensuing American Civil War.

Contemporary with the planning and setting up of the park, two Russian Cannon were secured as memorials to the Crimean War. The guns were mounted on cast iron carriages obtained from the Royal Arsenal at a cost of sixteen pounds each and were located on the top terrace by the refreshment room.

The cannons were removed for scrap during the Second World War.



Website: Click Here

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Click to discover the cannon









CONSTRAINTS

Open set times only

FACILITIES

Access all Year, Access by Road, Access on Foot, Disabled Access, Free Entry, Restaurant/Food, Toilets

LANDSCAPE

City Centre, Park or Garden

REGION

England - Northern

THE GROTTO GRADING FEATURES PRESENT

Crimean Cannon Location

(C)Copyright The Spas Research Fellowship. To contact the SRF, email: srf@thespas.co.uk or mail to: Tower House, Tower Road, Tadworth, Surrey. KT20 5QY. UK