CRIMEAN CANNONS - WHERE ARE THEY NOW?
Ashton Town Hall ,
The 2 cannon that now proudly stand outside the Town Hall, Ashton under Lyne, are called 'The Crete Guns'. They were taken by the 2nd Battalion of the Royal Welch Fusiliers on the Island of Crete (1897-98) and they were, for a long time, displayed in the Depot of the Fusiliers in Wrexham.
In 2003 they were transferred into the care of the Museum of the Manchester Regiment, housed in the town hall. The guns were restored by Mr Clive Williams, owner of Progressive Engineering, Audenshaw. Ashton Town Hall dates from 1840 when it was opened. It is a Grade II listed building.
The cannons replaced 2 earlier cannon that were taken away during the Second World War (1939-45) for materials to help in the war effort. These themselves had been gifted to the town of Ashton-under-Lyne, in 1858, and were Russian guns captured during the Crimean War (1854-56).
In Ashton-under-lyne there is the Crimea Russian Restaurant at 40 Market Street, SK14 1AH telephone 0161 351 1457.
Ashton now falls within Tameside. Lying seven miles due east of Manchester, in the North West region of England. Tameside is a neat, compact Borough in an area of scenic beauty, industrial heritage and easy communication with the rest of the country.
Access all Year, Access by Road, Access on Foot, Restaurant/Food
England - Northern
THE GROTTO GRADING FEATURES PRESENT
Crimean Cannon Location